Stop 05

Stop 5: Halsey & NE 7th

We’re now headed South, passing through the Lloyd District. The north end of Lloyd Center is at this stop, the south enterance is the next stop.


The Lloyd Center Tower is on our left. At 290 feet and 20 stories, it’s the tallest building in Oregon outside of downtown Portland.

Lloyd District apartments, such as the Cornerstone Apartments, directly to our right, are expected to flourish with the new Eastside Streetcar service.

Streetcar executive director Rick Gustafson said there are active plans to build 1,000 units of new housing near the new route. Since it was first launched, streetcar advocates say, private developers have built more than 10,000 housing units and 5.5 million square feet of commercial space within a block of the streetcar route.




The tall building a few blocks down is the south Lloyd Center Tower at 825 N.E. Multnomah Street. It’s headquarters for PacifiCorp, among other corporations. Many Lloyd District businesses are in the office towers, along Broadway or along the E/W Max line, which goes by the tall building, about 3 blocks ahead to the right.

PNGC Power, a Portland-based electric generation and transmission cooperative is behind us and the Temple Baptist Church is in front.

A major new development for the Lloyd District is planned at the SW corner of the Lloyd Center shopping mall. The proposed $250 million dollar mixed use project would be located between NE 7th and 9th and Multnomah and Holladay Streets. They are planning 780 apartments and 50,000 square feet of retail in three towers of 13, 18 and 32 stories each.

Designers of the proposed 780-unit “superblock,” say it would be one of the city’s largest apartment projects, and may create a new neighborhood. Money for the $250 million project would come from American Assets Trust, a San Diego-based company. Langley Investment Properties, a local firm, will serve as project manager.

Ralph Lloyd came to the Northwest in 1907. He believed the East Side should be the center of the city. In 1911, Lloyd returned to California to manage the family ranch where he brought in his first oil gusher in 1920. Almost overnight, he became a very wealthy man. Over the next three decades, the millionaire oilman bought his first two lots on the NW corner of Union Avenue (now Martin Luther King) and Multnomah Street. He continued to buy land until his death in 1953, without seeing his dream realized.

His four daughters and their families realized Lloyd’s dream when construction of the Banfield Freeway through Sullivan’s Gulch began. In August 1960, Lloyd Center, the then-largest shopping center in the country, opened its doors.


NEXT: Stop #6, Multnomah & NE 7th

RETURN TRIP:

Advertisements